Sunday, March 23, 2014

Kids Not Eating What They Don't Like

In this case I would use the Self Love Technique. This would be great technique for kids who struggle with eating healthy. However, I do feel they would need more of a feeling of accomplishment, something to look forward to, for when they do meet their goals. So with that being said, perhaps choosing a reward to where they can not resist the work which needs to be done to get that prize at the end of their mission. So here's an example: Calista gets a dinner plate with fries, fish sticks, and vegetables. She sees everything on her plate and she starts eating her fries first, then moves on to her fish sticks and now is full and wants to go play but is not able to until she eats her veggies. So this is what I would do. I would first have her sit down at the table and I would explain to her why its so important to eat her vegetables. I would explain to her what the rewards are for eating them. So in this example, I will use star stickers. Every time she eats all of her vegetables, she will get a star placed by her name on a chart, when the boxes fill up with stars, then she will get a barbie doll at the end of the month. Then, I would serve not only her but the whole family vegetables first, (I will choose carrots for this example), which I will only put two carrots on her plate. Once she eats the two carrots, I then will serve everyone at the table, the rest of the meal, fish sticks and fries. Then for her next meal which will be the next day, I will do the same technique but add in more carrots. Each day, I would continue to add more to her plate until I felt she is getting her portion size. This is a really good way of getting kids to eat what they don't like, because one, they are hungry, so whatever is in front of them, there is a better chance for them to eat it. Two, out of mind out of sight. If they don't get to see right away what is coming up next for dinner, which is their favorite, fries, and fish sticks, then its not going to be a tease for them. Whats not there is not visible. Three, she will see everyone else eating their vegetables. Setting good examples will always have an impact around you. 

I hope you have enjoyed this post as much as I have enjoyed writing this post. I would like to hear any comments you have. If you have anything to share, please do. I look forward to reading your comments. Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment