Monday, April 21, 2014

Getting the job you want

So are you struggling to land a job or even getting the job you want? This is what I found that works. First off, make a list of the companies you want to work. Next, call them up and ask the manager on duty to meet with you for an informational interview. Next, drive to the company a couple of days before to not only look for the company but to go inside and see how the employees are dressed. Look at the clothing, shoes, see if there hair is pulled back, are they wearing open or closed shoes, do they have a uniform they are wearing, if so, then look at the colors. Do they have tattoos or any piercing visible, things like that. Next, go home and pick out your clothing. If you need to go to the store and buy something to look like you are an employee who works for so and so company, then do it!

Here is an example of my experience. One summer I had taken an R.O.P class in Hotel and Hospitality Services, which I loved. The class was instructed to choose two companies to learn about. I chose, Marriott, and Holiday Inn. Next, we had to schedule an informational interview with the manager of the department we were interested in. So I choose front desk clerk at the Holiday Inn and Catering Department at the Marriott. I had to write ten questions I wanted to ask. Then I went to the location and I went inside and looked around to get a feel of the energy, and what the employees were wearing. I have noticed at the Marriott they had black suits on closed shoes, and their hair was pulled back. At the Holiday Inn, they had a green polo shirt that had Holiday Inn engraved on the left corner of the shirt and wore khaki pants, I think it was at the time. Some employees had their hair pulled back and some didn't. So when I got home, I got my outfits together, the Marriott I wore my hair pulled back and I wore a black pant suit. For the Holiday Inn, I wore a green polo shirt with khaki pant. I looked like one of them. Not only does that show you are interested in getting information about the company and their job but also says, hey I'm one of you. Its a great way to better your chances of getting a job/getting a job you want. Lastly, one day after the informational interview, send a Thank You Note. 

I hope you have enjoyed this post as much as I have enjoyed writing this post. I would like to hear any comments you have. If you like what you are reading, please share with friends and family. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment