So
are you struggling to land a job or even getting the job you want?
This is what I found that works. First off, make a list of the
companies you want to work. Next, call them up and ask the manager
on duty to meet with you for an informational interview. Next, drive
to the company a couple of days before to not only look for the
company but to go inside and see how the employees are dressed. Look
at the clothing, shoes, see if there hair is pulled back, are they
wearing open or closed shoes, do they have a uniform they are
wearing, if so, then look at the colors. Do they have tattoos or any
piercing visible, things like that. Next, go home and pick out your
clothing. If you need to go to the store and buy something to look
like you are an employee who works for so and so company, then do it!
Here
is an example of my experience. One summer I had taken an R.O.P
class in Hotel and Hospitality Services, which I loved. The class
was instructed to choose two companies to learn about. I chose,
Marriott, and Holiday Inn. Next, we had to schedule an informational
interview with the manager of the department we were interested in.
So I choose front desk clerk at the Holiday Inn and Catering
Department at the Marriott. I had to write ten questions I wanted to
ask. Then I went to the location and I went inside and looked around
to get a feel of the energy, and what the employees were wearing. I
have noticed at the Marriott they had black suits on closed shoes,
and their hair was pulled back. At the Holiday Inn, they had a green
polo shirt that had Holiday Inn engraved on the left corner of the
shirt and wore khaki pants, I think it was at the time. Some
employees had their hair pulled back and some didn't. So when I got
home, I got my outfits together, the Marriott I wore my hair pulled
back and I wore a black pant suit. For the Holiday Inn, I wore a
green polo shirt with khaki pant. I looked like one of them. Not
only does that show you are interested in getting information about
the company and their job but also says, hey I'm one of you. Its a
great way to better your chances of getting a job/getting a job you
want. Lastly, one day after the informational interview, send a Thank You Note.
I
hope you have enjoyed this post as much as I have enjoyed writing
this post. I would like to hear any comments you have. If you like
what you are reading, please share with friends and family. Thank
you!
No comments:
Post a Comment